Santa Cruz County Solid Waste Division
Residential Recycling Guide
None of these locations accept large quantities or materials from business or manufacturing. If you have commercial volumes of waste you would like to recycle, call (520) 375-7830.
Recycling services are provided at no cost to citizens of Santa Cruz County.
All County recycling sites accept: (Which can be placed in the co-mingled Green or Blue Recycling Containers)
- Newspaper, magazines, catalogues (no phone books).
- Aluminum cans and foil.
- Plastic-such as soda and shampoo bottles, milk/water jugs. No tubs, pails or other plastic.
- Steel/tin cans-such as canned food cans.
Glass must be placed in the Glass Container. Do not mix glass with the above recyclables, because glass is a contaminate in a single stream sort line. The glass can cause lacerations and puncture wounds to the employees who sort the recyclable materials and it also damages the equipment used in a single stream sort line.
- Clear and colored glass.
- Glass is currently being stocked pile and mechanically broken up by our tracked equipment.
- After construction of processing area and when approximately 25 tons are accumulated, the glass will be transported to the Phoenix area for recycling.
Rio Rico and Sonoita sites accept:
- Household chemicals such as chlorine, paint thinner and other solvents.
- Spray and liquid paint.
- Antifreeze and motor oil. (Place in waste oil container).
- Computers, printers, electronic equipment, and circuit boards (stacked on pallets).
- Tires (Residential Only: first 5 tires are free without rims. If more than 5 tires, without rims @ $150/ton. All tires with rims are $5 each.)
- Please empty, flatten and cut to 3’ by 3’ (no Styrofoam or bubble wrap).
- No wax coating (produce boxes).
- Pressed board (cereal, shoe or 12-pak containers).
- Brown paper grocery bags can be recycled with corrugated cardboard.
- Loose Newspaper and newspaper inserts.
- Please do no bundle or bag your newspaper.
- White office paper, copy or computer paper.
- Mixed paper, light colored paper.
- Junk mail and envelopes.
- No bright colored papers and envelopes.
- No goldenrod (bright yellow receipt paper).
- No glue or adhesive paper.
- All magazines and small catalogs (includes large catalogs with glue bindings).
Electronic components contain hazardous material, such as lead, mercury, arsenic and cadmium. The Facilities accepts cell phones, computers, keyboards, printers and TV’s.
Do Not Recycle:
Plastic bags; tissue paper; paper towels; carbon paper; photographic paper; paper plates and cups; paper ream wrappers; blueprints; glued binders; plastic binders; plastic wrapping or packaging; phone books; plastic chairs, blinds, gutters, toys, etc; newspaper with twine, straps or rubber bands; auto parts; electronics or batteries; window glass, mirrors, ceramics or crystal; medical supplies or containers; construction and finishing materials and products; herbicide, pesticide, automotive, chemical or other hazardous product containers; green (yard) waste; food waste.